2 November 2011

The Candy Shop War



Title: The Candy Shop War
Author: Brandon Mull
Release Date: 11 September 2007
Genre: Middle-Grade Magic/Adventure
Series: NA
Pages: 404

Goodreads Description:
Welcome to the Sweet Tooth Ice Cream and Candy Shoppe, where the confections are bit on the . . . unusual side. Rock candy that makes you weightless. Jawbreakers that make you unbreakable. Chocolate balls that make you a master of disguise.
Four young friends—Nate, Summer, Trevor, and Pigeon—meet the grandmotherly Mrs. White, owner of the Sweet Tooth, and soon learn about the magical side effects of her candies. Then the ice cream truck driver, Mr. Stott, arrives with a few enchanted sweets of his own.
The danger unfolds as the four youngsters discover that the magical strangers have all come to town in search of a legendary treasure—one that could be used for great evil if it fell into the wrong hands. The kids, now in over their heads, must try to retrieve the treasure first. And so, the war begins . . .

As a big fan of Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, this book inevitably caught my eye while I was browsing through the bookstore one day. It's just something about the cover, with the kids flying in the air, with a rather bohemian feel to the colour combination, and the colourful sweets floating around them.
Sweets.
Okay just some POI, I might have a um, slight obsession with anything caramel, sugary, nutty, or gummy. Sweets are ADHD in wrappers, I tell you. One moment you're munching on a Coconut Caramel Delight, the next you're doing a variation of the rain dance while sitting down. So can you imagine my amazement and awe and wonder and rapture and many-other-thingness when I saw the cover?!
And the plot summary. ADKJFKHSKL. Just as the back cover says, "Magical candies that give kids superpowers. SWEET!"
Oh boy if I were the kids in the books, I would be a superheroine by now.

So back to the book.

The book was amazing. I loved the idea. I love it more then mozzarella. I love the plot. GAH I LOVE THE BOOK!
There were so many twists and turns I could not help but feel so caught up in the book, devouring it to get to know just exactly what happened. The plot was smooth, things progressing such that I could not imagine it going any other way.

The puzzles. Oh the puzzles! I feel so gratified that I finally find a book that has puzzle solving inside. I have gushed on puzzles before. I have mentioned my love for mysteries. The tools! I never imagined a kaleidoscope and a telescope mish-mash to a Teleidoscope could have any worth other than at face value. Yet Brandon Mull suprises us yet again just as he did in his other books.
The sweets were of course, the highlight of the book. The powers that they give are just so cool. I loved it everytime The Blue Falcons went to the Ice cream and Candy Shoppe as I was just as excited as they were to discover what sweets Mrs White had for them.

My favorite character is strangely Mrs White. Hey, gotta love a candy making old woman.
Though you know with what happens, Mrs White still surprises me constantly with everything she manages to do. Anyone who can keep me on the edge of my seat so much, will be my favourite. It's fun because she's unpredictable. It's so detestable when the character's next move is so obvious. I didn't quite like Nate. He seemed very jerk-y to me though I admired his plans of action.
This book is a godsend to me, especially when I was so disappointed with the books I had recently read. If you love Fablehaven, adventure, magic, mystery, and sweets, you'll feel this way too.

5/5

Book trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment