12 September 2011

Artemis Fowl

Title: Artemis Fowl
Authors: Eoin Colfer
Release Date: 1 April 2003
Genre: Middle-Grade Fantasy
Series: Artemis Fowl #1
Pages: 396
Goodreads Description:
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.

Well when I first read this book a few years back, I gave up halfway because there were more interesting books to read *cough*Harry Potter*cough*. Only recently did I returned my sights to this series, embarking on the journey of munching and crunching the series with relish blah blah, I found out that this as exactly my favourite kind of book! Action, mystery, magic, ingenious logic, wit, with an awesome plot to match- I am officially a hardcore fan. (BRING ON THE ACTION FIGURES.)

On a side note, I noticed that books (usually middle-grade) with guy protagonists e.g Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Skulduggery Pleasant (I consider him a protag.), Alex Rider , are mostly more interesting, but mainly I think that's because guys mostly do action. We girls think. And mostly books with girls fighting are pretty much just a small part, and everything else is flowers and romance. Terrible plot line. I like books with action or magic. Preferably both.

So back to the book.

Artemis Fowl II is a genius and a criminal mastermind, writing psychological papers and giving academically lectures- and he's only 12. His father has disappeared in Russia. His mother is not exactly mindfully sound. The Fowl Fortune is slowly dwindling.

So he concocts a plan. To capture a fairy to take their ransom gold. Which he actually does. He is of the right age after all, young enough to believe in magic, with the determination to exploit. Now we mst not forget that Artemis is no ordinary 12 year old. He is cunning, and very very smart. Every time he outwits the fey, I can only go Now how did he think of that?

It's very intriguing to see him think of a solution to a seemingly impossible problem. The way he executes the plan, how he is always two steps ahead of his opponent, is very flabbergasting. I know people, myself included, that would just flop around in a situation he's in, but Artemis is able to salvage whatever there is, and still come out better than the rest. His sense of logic is very astounding. No wonder he's able to outsmart the fairies.

On a more lighter side, I also learned a new swear word! ("D'Arvit!") -no matter that it is in Gnommish. All the better to swear with, my dear.
I also ADORE the puns. Dr. J. Argon? Doctor F. Roy Dean Schlippe?*(<- I think that was in the second book.) And of course, who could forget? The LEPrecon, aka Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance, the police of the fairies. Be it cheesy or not, You can't help but feel a sense of achievement as you decipher the pun.

Eoin Colfer does not let us down when he says Artemis is a child prodigy. So if you like certain aforementioned books in this review, forget about considering to read the book. You have absolutely got to discover this series. READ IT.
And become a crazed, fan like me, eagerly waiting for a next book. (Oh please Oh please write a book no. 7!)

As for the deciphering the code at the bottom of the book, well I leave that up to you to find out!


*For those who don't read up on psychology, the term is Freudian Slip.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment