3 September 2011

Clean



Title: Clean
Authors: Amy Reed
Release Date: 19 July 2011
Genre: YA
Series: N/A
Pages: 288

Goodreads Description:
You’re probably wondering how I ended up here. I’m still wondering the same thing.

Olivia, Kelly, Christopher, Jason, and Eva have one thing in common: They're addicts. Addicts who have hit rock bottom and been stuck together in rehab to face their problems, face sobriety, and face themselves. None of them wants to be there. None of them wants to confront the truths about their pasts. And they certainly don’t want to share their darkest secrets and most desperate fears with a room of strangers. But they'll all have to deal with themselves and one another if they want to learn how to live. Because when you get that high, there's nowhere to go but down, down, down.


Before starting on this book, I was rather hesitant, as sometimes, books containing taboo subjects don't work out as well as expected. However, I felt that Amy Reed executes this book perfectly.

Clean is written from 5 different POVs, Christopher, Kelly, Olivia, Jason and Eva. They are currently in rehabilitation, and have their various problems. I felt that the different POVs actually give more insight into their not-so-pretty plight, and I found myself sympathizing with them.
Through their thoughts, we see them describing how they first got addicted, how their family also affected why they chose to take drugs or alcohol. They are very very real, just like you and me, and there is a lot of prejudice against them, for example in the bowling alley, where people look down on them.
The more I read, the more I wanted to comfort them, for the horrors they faced, for their insecurities.

The character I liked the most was Shirley, their counselor. She is frank, and very blunt, and doesn't waste her time telling them her opinion. For example when she says:
The only difference between cocaine and crack is the color of the user’s skin and the amount of money in his wallet. None of you ended up here by accident. We don’t take in every kid who’s snuck wine at a bar mitzvah or inhaled once or twice. Listen to me: You do not drink or use like a normal person. You have moved beyond the point where you can ever drink or use like a normal person. If you don’t believe me, fine, go ahead and try to prove me wrong. We’re always open. I’m sure your parents would love to pay for another stay here. Hopefully you’ll make it back. Hopefully you don’t need to keep testing to see if you’re like the ones who don’t make it, the ones who OD and die on the streets, the ones who end up in jail, the ones who end up crazy and alone and living in a cardboard box. Or maybe you spend the rest of your life in and out of expensive rehabs, maybe you OD in a nice house or you pass out and drown in your pool. Maybe you die in a car accident while driving a really expensive car. What’s the difference? Anyone have an idea? No? I’ll tell you. The only things you have going for you are race and money and the fact that someone cares enough about you to get you help instead of just throwing you out on the street and letting you destroy yourself. If you’re anything less than grateful, you’re a fucking asshole and a waste of my time.
She tells them what the real world is like, to make them appreciate that they have people to help them. I believe she help them get better, and unlike what hey think, she actually wants to help them. She helped Eva see how lucky she was, she helped Olivia with her pineapple of a mother. She helped Jason get over his guilt, that it wasn't his fault with what happened to his sister. She's a great person and they are very lucky to have her.

The character that touched me the most was Jason. Throughout the book, I wanted to strangle his dad for being so screwed up. He needs someone to beat some sense into him. I actually cheered for Eva's Dad, when he criticized Jason's father. He acts like a jerk, but inside, he's really a good guy who cares for his friends.

The ending was wonderful. It made me feel happy for the 5 teens, that they finally find their own way, whatever it is. The cover is also amazing. Suffering from a bout of cover love. YELLOW! :)

Amy Reed has created a book that is beautiful, and amazing, it should be crowned the best of it's genre.


5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment